Thursday, April 4, 2013

Islamic Men and Jilbabs

There is no secret that “Pris is in love.” There are men in Morocco that hold a special place in my heart. Their presence fills my heart with joy and I just love sitting and observing them in the medinas, sitting in cafes, working in agriculture, or just walking down the street.  They are truly adorable and melt my heart in a similar way that Indians do.  When I look at them it brings a flashback of my work with the elderly and the innocence of their beings-The Islamic men and their jilbab absolutely adorable.
I especially love those who have a jolly smile, glasses, a few extra pounds, and walking with a cane and their flat cap on top of their head. In the medina’s, I always find many of them walking around or coming out of the mosques. It is pretty much guaranteed to make me smile when I see them. It is beautiful when I witness them in moments of stillness, contemplation, or religious reflection. While I must have respect and not take photos directly, I sneak a few photos on occasion when they are not looking.  I will smile at them with a sense of wonder in my eyes and many will give me that same warm smile right back. Of course, there are those who are grumpy and look at me like, “What are you smiling at girl?”
The other day at the Corniche, I saw an old man who walked so slowly to his seat with the assistance of his helper. He sat down with this face of relief and just inner peace. There was also the one I sat next to on the bus from Tetouan to Casa. He was looking for a seat and I pointed at the open seat next to me and smiled. He sat the whole time just peacefully sleeping and sitting in silence and stillness.
Often I just get this feeling of inner peace from them as if they are just content with their life, content with God, content with their place in the world. They are religious beings who represent this inner peace, which is coming from their religious faith.  They are not in their 20s or 30s, but they are in their 60s, 70s, and 80s. They are grown men with experience, knowledge, and wisdom. They have experienced their life and grown into their true selves having a strong sense of religious identity and awareness of place in their society. 
Perhaps this is what draws me towards them- a sense of inner peace and walking with two feet solidly placed on the ground beneath them.... 
 
 
                                             One of my favorite pictures I took in Tetouan

No comments:

Post a Comment