Thursday, April 4, 2013

Six Feet Under

My morning walks in Tetouan went right past the main graveyard.  This graveyard was quite nice as it had the backdrop of the mountains and was built on a hilltop. There is a long path, which leads up to the door of the Medina. I had a few walks through this graveyard pondering and reflecting on life and death.

One morning, I saw a group of men all standing and chanting above a gravestone. I went closer and saw women with tears in their eyes staring down beneath them at the deep hole being dug in the ground.  I sat behind them just observing and listening to their chanting. A man moved over and made space for me and I sat staring at the hole in the ground. Apparently, the time was up for this person and they left their loved ones behind feeling sad and probably wondering, “Why did this happen?”
 

Perhaps there is no real reason for death rather it just depends on our fate. When our time is up, our time is up and it cannot be altered by any means.  Those who die have a special feeling before it actually happens-as if they are touched by an angel. While most would not spend their time at a graveyard, I wanted to witness the Arabic funeral, but I also wanted to confront death. I stared down at the hole in the ground six feet under and appreciated my presence-standing, living, breathing and alive. I also realized I did not want to be there six feet under rather I want to live and be six feet above ground. When you come up close and personal to death, you become thankful and appreciative to be alive. But you also feel that it is just not your time yet...but time will tell when that time will come....

No comments:

Post a Comment