Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Zwina Tetouan

Such a beautiful, beautiful day in Tetouan exploring the Medina, speaking with locals, riding a bike through the medina and being comical “Excuse a Mois” “Pardon” “Smehelia” “Buenos tardes” “Bonjour”. English, French, Spanish, and Arabic used and smiles from the locals in the medina. At times, I found myself frozen because I did not know, which language to speak. It was great visiting the tanneries where they make leathers, purses, shoes, and accessories, but the smell and vision of dead flesh all around was a bit nauseating. 
I walked to the top of the viewpoint, which the view point is always, always better if you hike up.  It makes you feel a sense of accomplishment, which then allows you to fully relax and take in the beauty.
A woman who looked like a tiny version of the Wicked witch from the Wizard of Oz sat and spoke Arabic with me asking for money. I said, “No tengo dinero.” She would then keep asking for money.  I really did not have it as I only had a 200DH bill and that was not going to her.  The people who live on the mountain top wear straw hats and village like clothing with a pair of Moroccan shoes.  The man is serving fresh Moroccan mint tea to men who are playing chess and sitting at the viewpoint. 
There were such moments of peace and reflection today. It was just what the doctor ordered-fresh mountain air, silence, and calm, kind people. 
 
 
\
 
 
 
Berber House
 
 
 
Look at the Sky!!!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Gambas, paella, and Flan-Spanish cuisine of the North
 

No comments:

Post a Comment