Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spanish Finally!

Often I think to myself, “Why don’t I live in the North where I can speak Spanish.” Spanish is pretty much the second language up North with a lot less emphasis on French.  French has pretty much taken over all of Casablanca. In the Northern cities of Tangier, Chefchouen, and Tetouan-they are right on the Mediteranean near Spain. Since Morocco and Spain are neighbors and many Spanish live and visit Tangier, Spanish has become the second language after Arabic. There are also many who speak Berber in the North as well.

Since I have not spoken Spanish in a few years, I worried about my comprehension, but I had many conversations that went very well.  In the North, I found the speaking to be at a nice pace where I could comprehend and respond when appropriate. In some countries like Mexico for instance, they speak so quickly leaving my comprehension to not be very good. 
In Tetouan, Spanish came naturally and it was so great being able to COMMUNICATE with people clearly.  I practiced speaking with the locals in the markets, stores, and with a new friend who teaches at Cervantes.   While my Spanish needs practice, it is amazing all it all just comes back to me.
I must say that it felt so good TO BE UNDERSTOOD. While I can speak a little French and Darija to get me around it is challenging to have full conversations in French and Darija- I try, but it is challenging.  Being in Morocco for six months and at first coming and speaking No French and Darija-the language barrier presents its difficulty. Being in the North and being able to communicate-Wow, what a feeling! While communication can happen non-verbally, at the end of the day there is beauty in being understood.
                Never underestimate the beauty of communication....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment