Saturday, December 1, 2012

Istanbul to Casablanca- PRIS gets a Sign

September 15, 2012
Having a bit of flight confusion previous to coming to Morocco i.e. Priscilla missing her Air Arabia flight to  Casablanca because she thought it was an afternoon flight, but it ended up being a red eye flight.  I had to rebook my flight with the fabulous Turkish Airlines, which I love their customer service and I love their cute little pink and white menus with a nice food selection and comfortable seats.  Turkish Airlines always deliver hence the reason for their award for Best Airline. 

Anyways, I had contacted my employer sending them over my new flight arrival information.  It was a bit last minute so I expected to just walk out and have to find my way over to the city.  But something happened, something finally happened for I think the first time in my life. …The sign

Since I have been young, I have been quite the frequent flier.  With my father living in Las Vegas and my mother’s family living in New Jersey, I was traveling to see them two or three times a year.  The most exciting times of these flights were always, always –the arrival.  The arrival feelings starts when the plane lands safely and continues until that moment where the doors open and someone is waiting on the other side.  

As a kid, my father usually sent someone to pick us up because he was busy working.  It was one of his many friends or someone who works for him.  But when he did show up, those days could not have been happier.  When arriving in New Jersey, a member of my mom’s family was always there waiting for us.  But no one was ever carrying a sign. 

In 2012 in Casablanca airport, there was someone waiting for Priscilla, but this time they brought the sign with them.  When the doors opened, there was my name in black, permanent marker, Priscilla C. Raj.  Above the sign were two smiling, friendly faces-my new co-workers.  That sign made me so happy and that welcome was so important for me and made me feel so good-indescribable what a sign can do.

The sign can make you feel cared for and give you a sense of belonging.  A sense of belonging that went missing for so long.  Even when I arrived in India for my first time, with all my cousins and relatives not one person came to pick me up.  I was left there to take the bus on my first trip to India.  Can’t expect the red carpet to be rolled out when you have been missing from that side of your family for years and years, but no sign and no one on the other side of the door left an imprint on my heart. 

Thank you Morocco for making a sign for Priscilla!

No comments:

Post a Comment