Sunday, December 9, 2012

And Now I Get It

Coming to Casablanca, the economic capital of Morocco, the basic items like jeans, shoes, tops, and jackets can be quite expensive in the commerical stores. You can shop in the street markets and shops in Maarif.  This can be quite an adventure with no organization and small, close quarters with no space.  The clothing also looks like it is second hand.  There might be a hole in it or it has a missing button. The price is discounted, but not enough.  It should cost about $5 and they are charging $30-ridiculous!

My days in New York walking in and out of Macys, Loehmanns, Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, Burlington, TJ Maxx, Bloomingdales, and all the amazing discount stores- I never really felt thankful for all the amazing discounts and name brands.  Whenever, I was shopping in New York,(thinking about this experience makes my heart skip beats) I always wondered, "What is the big deal? Why are these tourists shopping like it is the end of the world?"

And now I get it! What I wouldn't do for just a few days of New York shopping or even Chicago shopping or LA shopping at the Beverly Center. It is no wonder I was always shopping in the states because the shopping, sales, brands, quality, and fashion is amazing!

In Casa, I have done a wonderful job not shoppping and only shopping when there are sales at the big commerical stores. It makes not shopping a lot easier for me because I am not going to spend money on something that is not great quality or a name brand, but completely overpriced.  As a fashion snob, I just can not pay $200 for a pair of nice, but average quality boots when I know they are a quarter of the price somewhere else.

When I speak with locals, they all say they do not shop in Casa and they shop in Europe especially Paris and Spain.  Priscilla may just be heading to Spain to fill up her empty suitcase.  When you need everything, you wonder how to go about doing all this shopping. The Morocco Mall sale starts January 9 so perhaps I can wait a long while-NOT.  

No comments:

Post a Comment