Sunday, December 23, 2012

Priscilla Signs A Contract


At first, I had anxiety about signing a contract because that would mean making a one year commitment and I was not sure if I was ready for that-still in fight or flight mode.  With my work permit and with the advice of locals, it was clear that it was the best decision for a foreigner to have a contract.   If you stay without a contract, you put yourself at risk of being evicted from the apartment. At any time, the owner could tell you to move out-perhaps even without any notice, therefore it is important to protect yourself and get a contract. 

My contract is in French and I never even translated it rather I left it up to Mr. Casa. Priscilla, the agent, the owner’s mother (because the owner lives in France), and Mr. Casa all off to get the contract notarized in a local area of town. The owner’s mother so sweet and communicates with me in Arabic just like I am a local.   We walk together in the streets holding hands-Priscilla and the owner not Priscilla and Mr. Casa. 

Signing  a one year contract is not the same as signing one in the US.  You sign it, but if you want to move out, you give one month notice and pass go without paying any fine or penalty. 
The owner's mother still stops by on occasion “Just to check on me.” Who knows if it is secretly to see the apartment or her really worrying about me. I like to think she cares-it makes me feel a bit more special at the end of the day=)

No comments:

Post a Comment