Sunday, December 2, 2012

Darija: Its Own Special Cocktail

Darija- Its Own Special Cocktail

The Darija language is a fusion of French and Arabic with a Spanish Influence. It is a unique language that sounds quite interesting when it is spoken.  It is very different from classical Arabic and those I have met who understand Classical Arabic cannot understand Darija.   
When people speak  Moroccan Arabic, I just sit back and observe them with such interest and entertainment.  At work, with friends,the boyfriend, or even just on the streets- this foreign language is intriguing and quite nice. 

Basic Phrases

Here is a list of the 40 most useful Moroccan Arabic words and phrases:


- No = Lla =لا
- Yes = Iyyeh, ah, wah =
إييه، آه، واه
- Please = 3afak =
عافاك
- Thanks = Shokran =
شكرا
- Thanks a lot = Shokran bzzaf =
شكرا بزاف
- A lot = Bzzaf =
بزاف
- A little = Shwiya =
شوية
- Hello, hi (peace) = Salam =
سلام
- Bye = Bslama =
بسلامة
- Okay = Wakha (kh = J in Spanish) =
واخا
- Now = Daba =
دابا
- Not now = Mashi daba =
ماشي دابا
- Or = oula =
أولا
- And = w, ou =
و
- It’s not a problem / It’s okay = Mashi moshkil =
ماشي مشكل
- Not me / It wasn’t me = Mashi ana =
ماشي أنا
- I don’t want = Ma bghitsh (Gh = French r like in Mardi) =
ما بغيتش
- I am done / I finished = Salit =
ساليت
- I want… = Bghit… (Gh = French r like in Mardi) =
بغيت…
- Where? = Fin? =
فين؟
- How? = Kifash? =

No comments:

Post a Comment