Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Unspoken Language


When we think about language, the unspoken is just as revealing as the spoken language.  While one may not comprehend what is being spoken , we can take a deeper look at their behavior and  non-verbal gestures such as their tone of voice , facial expressions, and body language.  What is being expressed through their facial expression and body language can be quite revealing.  Through these expressions, we can tap into feelings of happiness, sadness, disappointment, anger, confusion, and the list goes on.  Of course, these feelings can be expressed through words, but sometimes actions speak louder than words.

 If we tune into a person actions rather than their words, we can become closer connected to them as human beings creating an authentic connection PRIS

Spending time observing the Arabic language, it seems to be quite revealing as it is full of expression and personality.  They can speak loudly and it sounds like anger, but when you tune into their body language it is clear they are just speaking in that tone of voice to communicate their point.  It is easier to see how they are feeling because their facial expressions are quite communicative i.e. big smiles, big frowns, looks of confusion, or looks of pain and sorrow.

Blending in with my Moroccan environment, people always just speak Arabic to me in the grocery store, on the bus, or in a taxi and sometimes I try to follow along and other times I create my own dialect.

 Englija-this is a mix of English and Darija, which can be witnessed with Moroccan locals by a non-native person.

My Englija comes out and it makes people laugh most of the time and serves as entertainment.  It is good to speak the Englija because it shows that I am trying to learn the language, but I have to substitute some English because I am still learning.  My Englija is quite entertaining to my boyfriend, co-workers, friends, and street locals.   

Another interesting fact to think about with language is how much do you really know a person if English is their second language? Not having full comprehension of Arabic, I wonder about the true personalities that shine through in their native language.  If I was trying to express myself in a second language, I would not be giving the full picture.  It is like going to a game, but sitting so far back you can not see what is really happening. We can utilize the unspoken language, but the picture is a bit fuzzy and may need some clarification. For example with my Moroccan boyfriend I am always wondering what he is saying in Arabic.  His word choice, his sarcasm, humor, grammar, and what subjects he enjoys discussing.  What is communicated in his second language of English is a bit fuzzy and does not give me the full perspective or picture, especially when his English is intermediate. 
In this case, the actions speak louder than words and it is important to tune into what is unspoken when interacting with friends and loved ones.  Language is beautiful, but the unspoken language is just as beautiful.    

No comments:

Post a Comment