Monday, February 11, 2013

Client Caught in the Cross Fire

In my office, I have a candle with a rosary hanging on the outside of it. I like having it there close by to keep me safe, but it just happens to be placed directly in front of the students during our session. 

Yesterday, I had a student who is a bit shy and nervous during our sessions, which I am positive and encouraging towards him to speak. Although, he was speaking very quickly and appeared more abnormally nervous than usual.  I was able to sense right away that something was wrong and asked him if he was okay, but he insisted he was fine. After that point, it did seem that he was trying very hard to recall our past lesson so I labelled it as some mild anxiety and nervousness during session.

Towards the end of the session, he says to me “I’m sorry we have to stop I just can’t focus anymore.” Of course, I kindly agree to stop and inquire about what is wrong and what I can do to help him. He had been holding back on what was really bothering him the whole session therefore he blurted it out, “It’s the Cross.” “It’s the Cross.” I apologize profusely for his experience and immediately removed it from the table.  He also apologized and said he respects Christianity, but he can not sit in such close proximity to the cross. Usually, I clear everything off the table, but I had not thought about removing the candle with the cross. After our conversation, he still seemed very nervous. He messaged me and said that he was sorry for his behaviour, but “it was a force bigger than him.”

This was an interesting and enlightening experience for me and I learned to be more conscious of living in a Muslim country.  While this is my space, it is important to be respectful of others coming into your space.

No comments:

Post a Comment