Friday, February 1, 2013

What Would it be Like?

Today, I was driving with my student and her father and I sat and observed their interaction with one another.  Sweet, kind, thoughtful, a bit of humor, laughter, and love. I have a feeling she was discussing her school agenda with him or possibly giving him school updates. Her father is often working giving her limited time to discuss, but he seems to still be listening and caring towards her needs. 

Often, when I witness this relationship it makes me happy for them and makes me wonder to myself how different my life could be if I actually had a real father. As an analyst, I know how my life would be different and it would positively impact my life choices, goals, relationships, and behavior.  It truly is a Freudian analysis- the delinquent father, as it impacts most of the relationships you have and seek with men for the rest of your life.  You seek out this fatherly relationship in other older men: teachers, doctors, supervisors and male authoritative figures. You thrive off of praise and positive remarks and can never get enough of recognition for your accomplishments. You try to impress these men because you never received that praise and recognition from the actual source.  Freud is brilliant and correct about the roles of parental figures in our life. Both the mother and father hold strong influences over our daily lives, behaviors, reactions, experiences, feelings, and interactions.... It is fascinating I love psychoanalysis and I love Freud!

No comments:

Post a Comment