Saturday, February 2, 2013

Priscilla Sees the King


At one point or another I knew the King of Morocco and I would eventually cross paths since we are neighbours. My apartment is about five minutes walking distance away from his palace and he comes to Casablanca regularly, which just leaves our meeting up to fate. 

This past Wednesday afternoon, I was leaving my apartment on my way to an appointment.  I was standing where I usually wait for a taxi and what usually takes a few minutes ended up being ten minutes, eleven minutes, twelve minutes, and no taxis.   I look to my left and then look to my right and see a security guard on each side. Automatically, I know the King is in town because whenever there is high security and Moroccan flags lining the streets-the King has arrived.

Being a bit concerned about time I continued to speed walk down the street up until a place where I could catch a taxi. I noticed they had pretty much stopped traffic on the whole street, but I did not think much of it until I saw civilians all standing all on the sidewalk stopped at staring at the road. Still I just continue to walk past everyone because I am more concerned about being on time for my meeting. 

I continue walking and within seconds, “Zoom, Zoom, Zoom” Mercedes and BMWs are speeding by at about 80-100 miles per hour. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10-this finally makes me stop walking and watch the cars passing by. The security guard in the middle of the street closes his eyes and tilts his head upwards and salutes with his right hand on his forehead.  His presence catches my attention because he just looks so divine standing there as if God was about to pay a visit. It was beautiful. 

Within a brief couple seconds, I see the last Mercedes come through with a big, friendly wave and smile coming my way from the King.  His face was quite plump and jolly kind of like mine=) He had a kind smile and his faced shined in a special way. 

It all happened to fast and it was everything one would hope it would be. For me, it was one of the coolest things I have seen because I love the presentation. Ten Mercedes and BMWs speeding through and the King following behind at the same pace-it was seeing the King “Fast, Furious, and Fashion” style- very nice I must say.

After this moment, I was a bit star struck and walking down the street like a ten year old saying,” I saw the King,  I saw the King.” I told the police men and they were laughing at me and amused by my excitement.  It felt like he waived just at me, but I know he consistently waives to everyone going down the street.  Although, I was really walking alone because everyone had been standing in the designated areas and I just continued to walk.  It was a cool experience, but perhaps next time we will meet in person at a nice event. This would be an even better experience for sure=)

No comments:

Post a Comment