Sunday, February 10, 2013

Don't Wake me Up

Sometimes our dreams feel better than our actual reality. When we dream, our minds are feeling, tasting, and breathing a world outside of our real one. Our dreams are connected with our unconscious mind tapping into a mood, a feeling, a memory, an intention, a desire, a need, etc. Sometimes it can feel like a play with different guest actors playing a role in your dreams-these people may be from your past, your present, or people you wish to meet in your future. Every symbol in a dream can have a specific meaning and some symbols clearly represent a developmental time of our life.

For instance, a childhood memory, a connection to a parental figure, a traumatic event, a good developmental period of happiness. For instance, I had a dream last night that I ran into my kitchen and my mom was standing there. I ran into her arms and shouted, "Mommy, Mommy." It is the child inside of me that seeks love, affection, and a parent-according to Freud this can be psychoanalyzed quite easily. Priscilla longs for love, support, and a warm embrace from a maternal figure. Bowlby believed with her studies in attachement theory that these insecure attachments presents themselves later in our life and this is accurate for most of us. While some of us build up strong defense mechanisms to protect ourselves, others are not as strong and this lack of attachment impacts their interpersonal relationships and need for belonging. Our dreams present our true needs and desires, which may be haunting our unconscious mind. This desire mayby present in our lives or we may try to repress our feelings towards this desire, but it comes out in our dreams. It all comes out in our dreams-it is quite fascinating.

Another interesting dream interpretation I have is when my relationships end, I am present with the person being sweet, romantic, and loving yet they are pushing me away in the context of the dream. The reality that this person is gone, but my unconscious reminds me of what is fact. While I may miss them, they are just not the right ones for me. But when you are in a dream with someone you really want to be with sometimes it feels like you just don't want to wake up. When you are experiencing a dream that makes your senses come alive, you feel so in touch with your desires, needs, and wants-who wants to wake up?




 

No comments:

Post a Comment