Thursday, March 7, 2013

Always on Vacation


Morocco is definitely a vacation loving country. Whether it is a student, a friend, a doctor, a teacher, an acquaintance- someone is always on vacation. In the French schools, students work off the French system and this system gives 2 weeks off for every 6 weeks of school. It is difficult to even comprehend how a system works from a learner’s perspective. Student’s study habits decline on their breaks and they have difficulty retaining information.

While this system is foreign to me, it may actually work for them in some way. The American system is obviously very different than the French, but I try to remain as objective as possible. 

Lately, I often question is it possible to run a business here with so many vacations all the time? It is obviously possible, but it is just annoying to have to deal with constant changes. Although, as human beings we adapt to these changes and we must seize the opportunities which are present. When I know a vacation is coming up, I must pack up my schedule the week before it occurs.  For those spontaneous vacations that people spring on me, I will prepare have to have a Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D.
Yesterday, I mentioned to my friend all these vacations and how they impact my schedule and he gave me a nice reminder of the  summer of June, July, and August. In Morocco, the kids are out of school and many people are away at their summer homes in Marrakech, Agadir, Spain, and France. At that time, I expect a full vacation mode attitude.  From the words of my dear Canadian friend."This country is always on a holiday or vacation and there is no real definition of work." There are Moroccans, which work very hard, but there are also those who are on a 24/7 vacation staying home, not working, or engaging in productive activities.
Vacation, Vacation, go away and do not come another day....PRIS

No comments:

Post a Comment