Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Nightmare on Zerktouni


My dear Canadian friend and I used to make the funniest jokes and one of our favourite jokes, which always makes me laugh is “Nightmare on Zerktouni.”

Sometimes we would just sit and talk about our purpose for being in Morocco. She would describe some messed up incident and I would sit and listen.  Sometimes I would think she was being judgemental and over assuming, but other times I would think, “What if she is right?” Of course, you come into a culture and you want to be hopeful and optimistic, but sometimes people and their actions decrease that sense of hope.  When the bad sometimes measures up to the good, one has to wonder at the end of the day.

              What is this all worth and What is at stake?

With my students, I used to do a Cost and Benefits Analysis and perhaps I need the same thing living in Morocco.  Often I get reminders from friends and loved ones, “What are you doing there? We miss you. Come home.”

And some days it really does feel like “What am I doing here?” Where are my friends? Where is my mom I haven’t seen in over 2 years? Where are my intelligent teachers and supervisors of work? Where am I?

It feels like I have spent 6 months on Zerktouni, which is the reality living off Zerktouni and working off Zerktouni. There is nothing wrong with this consistency as it is good for me, but my social supports are just not the same. I feel like I can count my real friends on just one finger. While I would not say it is a nightmare, it does sometimes feel like a bad dream. 

When it comes to the end result or analysis, What if Morocco is just not a country for expats to live?

Can Americans culturally fit and adapt into this culture?

Of course it is possible and it is “challenging,” which happens to be the word of the month and the word used by every American I meet.  Many people who choose to live here make sacrifices for a partner. They are married, have children, or family here. There is some connection or reason for being here, which makes the culture shock easier and makes people. But being alone, perhaps the cultural differences are just too difficult. Perhaps I want to deal with efficiency, people being proactive, having English discussions in my field of psychology with professors, friends, and co-workers. 

My French tutor made a couple good statements to me. Her first statement was, “Casablanca is not for young, single expats around my age.” Her second statement, which I find the most truthful is “If you are living in Morocco, you must have the life where you travel outside at least 3 times per year. “ This is exactly true as I believe the country becomes more beautiful if you are able to go to France, USA, London, Switzerland, Spain, and then come back. 

As an American, I crave efficiency, my specific shopping routines and foods, seeing friends and family- this is essential when living abroad.  One needs to connect back with the outside world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment