Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 15 2012: 6 Months In Morocco

        
March 15, 2012 marked my official 6 month anniversary and Mr. NYC Casa thought it would be a nice idea to share cous cous together. Again, he presents with the Perfect Dose of Arab as he knows he needs to do something nice to pull me back in and it works-of course.  Lately, his behaviour has been sporadic and he has been “challenging,” but he makes up for it being sweet and adorable.   

He introduces me to his friend, Rajaa, and I sit and speak with the helper in Arabic while he is talking away. It was great because I actually had a full Arabic conversation with Nadia. Nadia would explain ask him to translate or explain something to me, but he does not respond as he wants me to practice and learn.

Our cous cous comes out with chicken with almonds, dried prunes, and my favourite sauce.  We sit and Mr. NYC Casa begins to beat out a song on his leg humming the tune. His friend Rajaa begins to sing with a beautiful voice and I sit and stare at them smiling. 

While eating our cous cous, he perfectly makes a space on the plate and my side looks messy. Of course, he comments telling me about the perfect way to eat couscous.  He will be critical of me and in these moments I feel a bit of shame and guilt.

At times I witness myself convert into this quite, submissive Muslim woman. Do I want to live as “Priscilla” or as “Priscilla trying to be perfect” for someone else... The answer is simple and easy, but I keep coming back for more...
We sit and enjoy the cous cous followed by fruit and tea. I always find peace and relaxation sitting in the Moroccan home and enjoying food.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment