Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Christian to Muslim Housewife


Christian to Muslim Housewife?

When Mr.NYC Casa came into Casa from NYC, I met him and realized that my feelings were exactly the same. He looked a bit rugged and kind of different, but he was still handsome and had a piece of my heart. He says that in order for me to be his girlfriend I have to prove that I want it. While I laugh at this and think he is just saying it to avoid commitment- it does hold partial truth, but with high expectations. 

Just like Mr. Casa, I have to prove that I am serious about our relationship in order to move it forward.  With Mr. Casa, I was going out and meeting new people and he did not like this. He left the relationship in my hands choosing to spend time and make a real commitment or go off on my own way. Priscilla went off on her own way choosing independence and lost  a great guy.

This time, I have to make a decision about what I really want because I cannot make the same mistakes again. It is like God is giving me now a 3rd chance at happiness. I enjoy my independence, but I have to learn to be less ME and more WE. I am accustomed to living in accordance with my own needs and wants. A relationship involves a whole other person-not just myself. It takes love, kindness, sacrifice, and selflessness-but it must be a mutual giving.  When you have a really good guy sitting in front of you, you have to make sacrifices for that person. Although, Mr. NYC Casa has been doing really well with following through, caring, and being sweet-it may just all be temporary. He thinks that I am the one who has to work for our relationship, but he has to work just as hard.  He has to prove that he can Follow Through (the most difficult thing for us and with Moroccans) connecting words with actions. 

When I am with him, it feels like his eyes are always watching me. I veiled my head one day and he said, “You know if you keep that on-I know a guy who will marry you tomorrow” and he winked at me. When I do sweet, domestic like things i.e. pour him tea and help clean and organize things-he just love all this.  While he supports my business ventures and ideas, it feels like he wants me to be this perfect Muslim girl housewife.

It takes two to tango and while I am making sacrifices-he must make them as well. We are both working towards this to be something, but at any point one of us could back down. We could realize that it is not going to work. From my experience, the most important thing I have learned is that “You cannot change a person.” Personality traits and behaviours can improve, but you changing who they are will just result in a failing relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment