Sunday, March 31, 2013

Mediterannean Film Festival Tetouan 2013



Often I do not have much luck when traveling out of Casablanca i.e it is raining or something goes wrong. This time I got lucky with the Mediterannean Film Festival happening upon my arrival to Tetouan.
There are featured films from the Mediterranean-Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, and Morocco with various locations in the city centre. Also, it is by far the cheapest film festival with a 50DH fee for all the peliculas (movies) for the whole entire festival. It runs for about a week in three different theaters in Tetouan with the languages of the movies being Spanish, French, Arabic, or Italian (obviously not English).


When it comes to movies, Moroccans have a different viewing practice than America.  It is almost like a social hour where people will talk, comment, answer their phones, shout across the theater, singing, and gossiping.  In one movie, there were a group of girls even going in front of the screen and taking photos of one another. It was a bit obnoxious I must say and luckily there was good security removing them from the theater one by one. 

I had planned on seeing more movies, but I decided to finish my movie ventures with the Moroccan movie behavior. I saw a Moroccan movie, an Italian movie, and a Spanish movie. Watching the movies with Spanish subtitles has been great as I get to practice my Spanish. My favorite movie was the older Spanish movie from 1973 with a beautiful model and artist.  The artist falls in love with the model and then commits suicide because she leaves him and goes to France-tragic, but beautiful- Ce La Vie.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment