Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pope Benedict Resigns

After 700 years of a pope never resigning, Pope Benedict Resigns.
The discussion of the Pope resigning actually came up with one of my students.
He is an interesting student-very nice and kind, but he has interesting special characteristics to his personality i.e. he is very picky, likes things a certain way, and wants things done on his terms. I recognized this behavior from the beginning therefore I know how to cope with it positively.

 
As we are discussing, he decides to ask me a million questions about the Pope, which I only have answers for a few as I am not an expert on the Pope’s term.  When I do not have answers to some of his questions, he says that “You’re an American and American’s do not read the news.” Normally, I would get defensive, but learning to tame my defensiveness over time I simply say, “I’m sorry I disagree.” I give him a brief education on America and say that we can not generalize as there are people who do not keep up with world news, but there are those who are intelligent, sponges to the news.  I understand he is joking, but sometimes jokes are just a reaction of our unconscious mind speaking. They are real beliefs that come out whether verbally or through action.   It is okay because I understand those who stereotype the unknown.  They can just form beliefs based off stereotypes and labels presents in media.  Overall, he is a smart individual, but he can present as a bit narrow minded.   Although, he does want to learn from me and about me, which is why he inquires about my Christianity.  He knows I am Christian and being very religious he is curious to learn about my own religious values and beliefs.

For me, it is interesting to see the shifts of Catholicism moving out of Europe and into Latin America, Asia, and South Africa.  In 1950, there were 50 percent Catholics in Europe and now there is only 7 percent. Perhaps it is time to elect someone outside of Europe? It seems a bit mind boggling to me as I just automatically associate Europe with the Pope, but Catholicism is shifting out of Europe and into the rest of the world. For me, this is a beautiful thing to witness. 

Will they elect a Pope outside of Europe? We shall see…..

No comments:

Post a Comment