Sunday, January 27, 2013

Egypt: The Next Syria?

Two years since the revolution and Egypt is still fired up with anger, protests, rallies, and violent acts.  Being in Egypt almost 1 year ago at the time of the elections, I clearly felt the anger and hostility in the air.  When I left, Mohammed Morsi was elected and ever since then I have watched the protests in Cairo.  There is some clear hatred towards the Muslim Brotherhood and politically it seems Egypt has not established any real peace since the election.  With revolution just two years ago, Egypt is persistent and clear about what they want from government, but government is resistant and authoritative towards their needs.  When I watch, it feels like a group of bad students with a horrible traditional teacher who has no teaching strategies or knows anything about people and behavior.  The teacher just tells them, "No, you can't do this. No, you can't do that." Everything that comes out of his mouth is disrespected by the students until the teacher learns to adopt an innovative, effective, and real human approach.  The teacher is Mohammed Morsi and the students are the citizens of Egypt.  His punitive approaches are ineffective- I absolutely guarantee that Egypt's violence and anger will continue with his inefficient, punitive ways of handling the controversy.  With the state of Egypt now escalating overtime, I just wonder is going to happen next in Egypt.  Will Egypt turn into another Syria?

Syria is another country that I have just watched deteroriate for the past two years.  Each time I see it, I feel so angry about what is happening and question the intervention that is or is not occurring.  The fighting, bombing, and deaths just keep on coming year after year.  When I was in Turkey, I was researching how I could get involved with Syria, but people told me it would be too dangerous.  If someone gave me some guidance or just took me under their wing-I would have been happy to do something-any kind of involvement to help Syria.  Perhaps, it is an ideal way to think "I want to be in the center and take action" when you see crisis and war.  It is important to  realize the mentality is completely different and takes some adjustment i..e just being in Egypt I experienced some real anger, hatred, and violence and it is quite challenging to work with when people's mentality and mind are negatively influenced or driven. Perhaps this is why Mohammed Morsi is having such a difficult time or perhaps he is just an ineffective leader. 
For me, these populations and these people present as challenges anthose who are fully resistant to learn, change, or gain insight are some of my favorite cases or best accomplishments from my work. Take the challenger Morsi and don't let your people walk all over you.

What is going to happen next in Egypt? How do you feel about Syria?

No comments:

Post a Comment