Saturday, January 26, 2013

Offering Help


From my experience thus far, people love to offer you help in Morocco.  They want you to have a good experience and to do this they offer help. It often turns out that people offer help when you do not even ask for it.  For example, I will say I am working on getting a contact for a school and they will respond “I can help with that.” At this point now, I know they are being nice and just say “Thank you” and continue on doing it myself.  Networking and building contacts is important in Casablanca especially, but you learn to know who is going to come through and who is just talking and being a nice person.  

Sometimes I do ask for help i.e. I asked my friend to help me find an English teacher for a company, I asked for help when I was looking for an apartment and needed someone to translate, I asked for help with my business cards etc. When you are alone in a foreign country and you do not even speak the language, it is okay to ask for help sometimes-the key word sometimes with a recipriocal relationship.   

A lot of time help is offered in a kind, authentic way and these people are amazing.  I know exactly who they are and I give credit to them on this blog. The people who “follow through” are shining stars in Morocco. They will always receive my appreciation, praise, thanks, and help if they need it.

The ones that offer help because they are just trying to impress you or they want something from you. I know who these people are and I do not appreciate or respect them.  The best part is when they do not get what they want from you and their true colors come right out. It makes you happy that you followed your intuition to avoid them and stay away from them to begin with and makes them look like a fool for thinking you were stupid enough to fall for their lies.

Thank you Morocco for having good intentions and good hearts, but sometimes you don’t need to help with everything.. We can do it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment