Friday, January 25, 2013

A Day In Rabat

The day in Rabat was more of a visit for business rather than pleasure, but it ended up being a bit of both.  My Director from my part-time English teaching job was taking me to drop off my paperwork for my work permit.  Unfortunately, my company functions on Moroccan time like the rest of the city and they waited until the last minute to process my visa.
It was the choice of going to Rabat to drop off the paperwork and speed up the process or cross over the border and come back into the country.  People say it is a lot easier to get back in the country if you are American vs. being South African.  Of course, this is unfair, but not a surprise to me at all. 

In Rabat, we stopped at Paul's Cafe where I enjoyed an amazing Almond Croissant. There is a Chez Paul's in Casablanca as well, but this location was quite charming inside with brick walls, wooden stairs, and beautiful bathrooms. A true indicator of a great restauant is when you sit inside and actually feel like you could be somewhere else.  Also, something about the restaurants just resonates with you and it makes you want go back again next time-good quality.

At first glance, Rabat was quite a nice city and not what I expected. If Marrakech is the Las Vegas of Morocco then Rabat is the Washington DC of Morocco.  It is full of green trees, green patches in the middle of the tramway, a big forest sits in the middle of the city, and there is this beautiful coastal area overviewing the river that crosses over to Sali. I hear wonderful things about the city of Sali and I hope to venture over there one day...  
Driving down the coast, we made a stop at the famous Mausoleum of Hassan II and the Yacoub al-Mansour esplanade.  The view from their is spectacular and it the grounds hold a special spiritual energy.  The mosque is still being renovated, but when we asked the security guard he said it will never be finished and he did not provide any reason in Arabic. He also described the earthquake,w which negatively impacted Rabat.  Everything was translated by my Director who did not have much interest in receiving historical facts for the day.

The Mausoleum contains the tombs of the Moroccan King Hassan II and his two sons, late King Hassan II and Prince Abdallah.  The building comes from Alaouite dynasty architecture with white silhouette, topped by green tiled roof as green is the color of Islam.  There was a reader of the Koran sitting in his regular assigned seat. The guards were dressed formally in blue and red uniforms with white shoes. I was so amused by their shoes and I just sat and stared and smiled.



Truly Stunning Inside
(This photo is not my photo and is found on the internet)
 
 
After our visit here, I walked along the side of the road(coast) and just stared off into the river. It was a beautiful day and the sky was clear blue.  There are such a great views along that area and until you come to another big monument, which I did not get to see.  My director and I went for some sushi and talked about New York and some of our favorite things. I always enjoy my talks and time with him-he is someone I respect and appreciate his kindness towards me.   
                                           


 

No comments:

Post a Comment