Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pris And Sana and Medina

In the Medina, we enjoyed some nice orange juice(Marrakech has the best oranges), tagine from a local spot, and I ate a bunch of dates. We had plans to meet my friend for dinner so I tried to stop eating everything in sight and focus on the shopping time we had left. 

The Medina in Marrakech is known for ripping off tourists, especially since Marrakech is tourist central coming from France, Spain, Europe, UK, and abroad. Walking around the medina, Sana got some great deals without my assistance-I was so proud of her! Who knew she had it in her. The funniest part of our bargaining was shopping for... the comforter.

Our first shop the guy spoke absolutely "No English" so Sana bargained in French and Priscilla used some poor "Englija-Arabic/English." It is not really funny as I need to learn the language, but I must say it truly is entertaining when I am shopping.  The sets ranged from 5 pieces to 11 pieces, but we decided that I really only needed a five piece set. For a five piece set, he wanted 350, but we kept trying for 250.  Back and forth and back and forth and no budging.

The next shop had the same comforter.  I saw it and got really excited and decided to pull it down myself, which the whole thing dropped right on my head.  Everyone found it quite funny including Sana. I had the guy open it up for me and show it. It was pretty, a bit warmer than the first one, but it had strings hanging off of it. 

"Excuse me Sir. This has a bunch of strings hanging from different sections-this is not good."

"Meshi Mushki- I cut."

Priscilla would like to buy one nice comforter minus the ten strings hanging off. I tried to work him down to 250 showing him the strings hanging off, but this meant nothing to him and he stayed at 300.  Off I go to the next shop where I find a beautiful royal purple comforter-not in a set and with just one pillow case.  This man is staying at 350 and not budging at all. He is a bit mean, but when I smile-he smiles and warms up to me and my crazy shoppers mania a bit.
I try to tell him that this is not even a three piece set-it just two pieces.  Everyone has two pillows on their bed-not just one. 

Off I show a man the comforter I like and he goes searching through a box for the rest of the pieces. He smiles big wearing a yankees hat and having a kind, friendly face. I smile and say "Sucraan"
I then proceed to my last store where I found the same Royal purple comforter, but for 400 and it has no pillow cases with it.  I go back to purchase my 2 piece set-Italian made, big, puffy and warm.  It is more than I wanted to spend and it only has one pillow case, but I like it.

                                      Marrakech wins the Bargaining Battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment