Thursday, January 17, 2013

Private vs. Public

In Morocco, there is a clear distinction between private and public schools and it seems to really only involve: money. After conversations with various students, parents, and friends-there is an entrance exam and a requirement of French citizenship with some schools. Although, status and money are what seem very important. 
The French private schools run anywhere from 1600DH to 2000DH per month, which costs about $150 US dollars per month.  The schools run off a French system, which I am discovering is quite different than the American system. It is traditional and rigid with its ways and does not seem to fully support the academic success of its students.  Many of the students receive outside private tutoring for various subjects, but especially English because they only receive 2-3 hours per week.  At the end of their education, they are required to take a Bachaleureat English exam. 

For example, I am working with a couple student who have very limited help with college admissions and they have high hopes of studying abroad in US at top schools like NYU, Colombia, and Boston University, and University of Pennsylvania. My one student said she practically had to have her father pay the counselor to get her letters of references.  My other student said her counselor is so bad that she pretty much feels like she does not have a counselor-but she has me of course=) Some schools tell their students, "Don't bother applying there, you'll never get in." Thats encouraging right?
Actually, the one friend of my student just got accepted to Colombia and she was told that she would never get in.  Wake up and smell the coffee Casablanca! It IS possible for Moroccans to study abroad at schools of their dreams and choices

While the private schools provide great education for their students, they could be putting more effort into their student's success and long term goals.  I will be working more with these schools therefore I will share more of my experience.  It is a totally new system for me therefore I will have to have more real experience to see how things function. 

No comments:

Post a Comment