Saturday, January 26, 2013

Coffee Shops and Reading

My one coffee shop that I am always in(aka my part time office)I like to observe what is going on around me.  What I observe is 90 percent of people with a blackberry, Iphone, and computer, but hardly anyone reading the newspaper reading a book.   

What happened to sitting at a coffeeshop and reading a nice book or the newspaper without a technological device going off on the table? Yes, people could be reading on their computers and I know people are working and being productive. I just feel concerned that I do not see enough Moroccans reading.  Reading is important at any age and for any culture. When I enter this coffee shop and do my daily observations, I am so happy when I come across someone reading a book. I try to make eye contact and give them a big smile.

This post is not to say that Moroccans do not read, but I do observe that Moroccans do read less than other cultures. This post is to bring attention to the problem with technology.  It is distracting us away from books.  Five to ten years ago at the coffee shops, you might have seen double the amount of people with books. People are so consumed with their email, iphones, whatsap, instagram, twitter, and facebook rather than just bringing a plain old book to the coffee shop.

Come on Casa please spend time reading- Priscilla has faith and believes in your interests, talents, gifts, and abilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment