Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Runaway Girl

Being in India for a few months, Turkey for a few months-I had left without giving it a full chance.  There were beautiful cities in India, I thought about staying and working in, but I kept my eyes on Turkey.  Then Istanbul came and it was beautiful and wonderful, but something was missing.  The city still sparkled in my eyes, but the idea of living there was just not fitting.  Also, I thought that I would go there and stay for some time, but things did not work out with Mr. Bigg.  If there was real love between us, I would have stayed and made a life for us there, but perhaps we were just two fools in “lust” and perhaps  I have a bigger and better purpose.

Since I heard stories about the beauty of Morocco from my mother, my friends, and boyfriends-I just pictured this incredible place. This curiosity about Morocco has always stayed with me. I had my Morocco backup plan already worked out. If things did not work in Turkey, I had a job planned in Morocco.  While there were more than a few jobs offered to me in Turke, there was just one in Casablanca.  The supervisor was quite lovely with his emails and he would consistently email me asking me when I was coming.  I had the green light to go to Casa so I decided to take it.  This job would fit until I built my network and life in Casablanca.  

Now living in Casablanca-a big city, with traffic, pollution, and hard to get around without a car. It is not the best city in Morocco, but it is the biggest.  It is not that interesting and people can be ingenuine.  But there is something about it that makes me want to stay or maybe it is something about Morocco that makes me want to stay. 

After the break up with Mr. Casa, I thought about putting on running shoes and running right off to another country like Spain or Portugal.  These countries are doing horribly economically and Morocco is actually the place where many Europeans are coming to escape this crisis.  Morocco is a good place to be right now and it is a place that I do like. 

There is just something about it that makes me want to stay…..

Speaking with locals and other expats, you have to give a city a real chance.  Three months is just the beginning and you are going to have good and bad experiences, but wait just a bit longer to see how many good ones you can have and let the bad ones fade away….

The only place Priscilla is running is outside at the beach or on the treadmill.  Priscilla made the decision to come here so she is going to make it work one day at a time keep working.

No comments:

Post a Comment