Saturday, January 26, 2013

Relying on Yourself And Not Others


At the end of the day, the only person you can rely on is yourself. This is absolutely true and this should absolutely be lived by. My dear friend, Sana, helped me come to this realization when she visited. She made me realize just how simple traveling can be when you have things planned and you do not rely on anyone, except yourself. I came from months and months traveling with a backpack so I guess I had forgot about the “normal” style of traveling.

While she is the person who has everything organized before traveling i.e. hotel, transfer from airport, booked tours, and packages.  I am quite the opposite traveler as I enjoy more of a local interaction and overtime couch surfing has helped me do this.

The thing with couch surfing is that you do have to rely on someone else and you do have to spend time with that person. I must say I have been very loyal to couch surfing by spending time getting to know my hosts and learning from one another. It truly is a cultural exchange most of the time, but some of the time it just doesn’t work.  And at the end of the day, you are relying on someone else whether directly or indirectly because you signed up to stay with them, which means doing things with them or on their terms.

With Morocco especially, I have come to the realization to only rely on myself for everything involving traveling. I think it is great to meet up with couch surfers to maybe gain a local perspective and have a coffee together, but that is the extent of it.  Like Sana says, it is better to have everything planned to accommodate your own needs and everything is done at your leisure.  It is time to break from couch surfing.         

No comments:

Post a Comment