Thursday, January 10, 2013

Please Stop Smoking

Some may read this post and think "Priscilla, you used to smoke, what is the big deal?"
For the record, I do not smoke anymore and I have absolutely zero interest in smoking.  Over the past couple years, there were times I cheated and a had a few drags of a cigarette and the next day I suffer from chest pain. While my doctors say, "Don't worry I am sure you are fine."  I had a echo cardio and there is potentially a problem, which may or may not be related to smoking. They say as long as I stay away from cigarettes, I shoud be fine, but this is soley in the hands of my higher power.  This problem encourages me to take precautions, which mean to not surround myself with smokers or avoid smoke at all costs.

Unfortunately, this is near impossible in Casablanca because it is winter and everyone is inside smoking. At least being outdoors, I can get some fresh air, but inside it is smokers paradise. Casablanca just loooooves to smoke, especially inside every cafe, restaurant, lounge, bar-no restrictions here in Casa.

In Paris, London, the US, Italy-there are smoking laws passed against smoking indoors. It is ridiculous that Morocco is not following the leader and passing some kind of law for indoor smoking. Last night, I found myself sitting in the middle of six smokers all smoking at the same time And just sittting at Brioche Diori(a cafe that actually has a non-smoking section)-a girl lights up a cigarerette.  "Excuse a moi- No smoking please.' She looks annoyed with my comment, but it seems even in the non-smoking sections they are breaking the rules.

The worst part about it is that they are not just smoking rather they are chain smoking.  They just keep smoking one after another with absolutely no break-it is seriously out of control. If I am with a smoker, I watch them put out their cigarette and think "Pheww I get a break." And before I know it(1-2 minutes later) they are lighting up again!
To be honest, I was never this kind of smoker. I was a social smoker and I smoked due to stress, which equaled a few cigarettes during the day and smoking at night. 

Calm down on the smoking Morocco please. While smoking is a free choice and people can smoke as much as they want-they should have some awareness to others that do not smoke and can not sit and inhale clouds of smoke for health purposes. Merci Casablanca!

No comments:

Post a Comment