Sunday, January 6, 2013

You Dont have to be Alone


This song touches my heart in such a real, authentic way.  I know that I don’t have to be alone.  Being alone is a choice even though it sometimes feels like my lifestyle is significantly more “alone” than others. 

While I do not have the parent patting me on the back saying “Good job”, the close relationship with a sibling, or a relative I can spend hours and days talking with- I do have my higher power consistently all day and everyday.  He is always here for me whether it is a reminder to wake up, to listen, to be nice, to be of service, to smile, to counsel or advice, or to just breathe. Our relationship is co-created with my life to be of service to clients, but also to make mistakes and learn from them. 

Nobody said, “Priscilla, I want to make things difficult for you and keep you alone isolated away from everyone.” The feelings that come along with too much independence are loneliness and a lost sense of belonging .   To be social, active, and feel a sense of belonging are such important parts of life.  When our sense of belonging is not in balance with friends, family, and community-it creates the lost highway syndrome.

What is the lost highway syndrome? The lost highway syndrome is when your hierarchy of needs is out of balance creating feelings of loneliness, sadness, and isolation.  It is called the Lost Highway syndrome because one can imagine a car lost on a highway with nowhere in sight to turn and no map or person to give you directions-just you and the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment